Recipe: Grilled Cheese Toastie's And Tomato Soup
Soup and bread are “together forever” kind of love story. And I got a chance to try varieties of soups while I was in America to bring in the New Year. January is also known as an unofficial national “A month of soup” in America – good news for a foodie like me. Anyway, out of all the soups I tried there, the tomato soup with bread impressed me the most.
After so many months, finally, I got a chance to make it at home. I always have cheese in my recipes, and this time there was no cheese. But my cheesy brains got into the thinking and came up with the idea of preparing grilled cheese rolls. Instead of dipping dry bread, it is far delicious to enjoy tomato soup with grilled cheese toasties. These can be prepared with very few ingredients in less time.
Walla! I created this classic combo; it was mouthwatering. It was just perfect, well the idea of perfect might be different for all, but the combo of tomato soup and grilled cheese rolls is pretty perfect. I love all things cheesy and Hi Melt cheese slices- the best cheese for burgers, are always a staple in my kitchen. And they saved the day for me while preparing the cheese rolls.
Here’s the recipe to make this fantastic combo without too many ingredients. Give it a try!
Grilled Cheese Toasties
Sandwich Bread 6 slices
American cheese 6 slices The best cheese for burgers.
Butter 2 tablespoon
Butter 1 tablespoon
Diced onion 1/2 cup
Garlic 2 cloves, minced
Tomatoes 2 Cups, Crushed
Heavy Cream 3 Tablespoons
Salt and pepper to taste
Grilled Cheese Rolls
1. Place pieces of sandwich bread on a flat surface.
2. Cut the crusts off of flatbread using a knife.
3. Flatten the bread using a rolling pin.
4. Top each bread with a slice of cheese, then roll up properly, make sure it doesn’t not open.
5. Heat a skillet and add 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and wait until melted.
6. Place the grilled cheese rolls and cook on all sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
7. Remove and cook all the rolls in the same way.
8. Serve immediately with tomato soup.
1. Heat a saucepan and melt butter over medium heat.
2. Cook onions for about 7 minutes, until softened.
3. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and water and bring to simmer.
5. Cook for about 15 minutes and remove from heat.
6. After cooling it for 15 minutes, blend it until soft.
7. Reheat the blended tomatoes and stir in heavy cream.
8. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
9. Enjoy with Grilled cheese Roll.
1. Be sure to use very fresh sandwich bread; staler bread is less moist and flexible and more appropriate to crack or tear when rolled.
2. Cutting off the crust makes it easier to roll.
3. Place the seam-side down in the skillet while you cook so that the bread does not unfold.
4. Don’t blend the tomatoes while it’s hot.
Rosemary Kobe is a homemaker who loves to play with her two little twin-toddlers at her homes in Sydney & Melbourne. She is one of the most celebrated foodies in Australia experimenting with a lot of dishes at home and occasionally heads out in search for delicious burgers in Sydney or Melbourne. If you know one – let her know in the comments below.